Subject: newbie needs help
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Walker <bsduser@wymondham.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/30/2001 21:36:50
Hi,

Some years ago I installed RiscBSD which I think is now called NetBSD. I
managed the install on my Risc PC without too many problems then. Sadly not
so this time. I'm installing it on a Cumana SCSI II drive, as last time, but
this time it's falling over with these messages -

boot device sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b

I don't find that too surprising - I haven't created it yet. I thought the
initial kernel load would allow me to do that. I've partitioned the 2 gig
drive, I've mapped it as SCSI 4, with 69 megs for Risc OS and the rest for
BSD, written the boot block with bb_riscbsd and chosen the kernel and pointed
the !BtRiscBSD prog at it. The kernel is shown as netbsd/RISCPC/gz on the ftp
site and this file has a file size of 845448 bytes - just in case I'm using
the wrong one! I've unzipped that, filetyped it to data as the !Bt.. app told
me that the unzipped file was the wrong filetype. It's such a long time since
I did the first install, and almost as long since I changed the drive and
didn't bother to install it again, that I can't remember what I did. I hope
to persevere a bit longer this time ;-)

I'd appreciate any help you people can give and just in case somebody says
'have you the docs?', yes. I spent about an hour and a half last night wading
through the mail archives since early 1998 trying to find something relevant
to the problem. I didn't but I did find a URL that pointed me to the prep
docs. According to prep/RISCOS, I've done everything I need to as far as the
drive partitioning goes, I get as far as 4.2 'Running !BtRiscBSD' and that's
where it all starts to go wrong.

TIA.

--
/ _/ _` \ V  V /  |   mailto:bsduser@wymondham.demon.co.uk     |