Subject: Re: Wakefield CD
To: Steve Potts <stevepotts@blastzone.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/06/2001 20:55:17
On Sunday 06 May 2001  8:00 pm, Steve Potts wrote:
> In message <01050619270404.00327@pinky.paradox.demon.co.uk>
>           Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Perhaps I should consider doing 2 CD's?  one with packages on the other
> > with  NetBSD on it?  (and buy 1 get 2nd CD cheap?)
> >
> > Any thoughts?  What would people prefer?
>
> I am one of probably many who don't know very much about building kernels
> and recompiling systems such as X.  My reason for having BSD is to learn
> more about Unix and to be able to develop simple C programs initially and
> then play with writing TCP/IP applications using sockets.  The system which
> is best for me is one which gives me all the binaries for the base system
> with compliers and text editors, with X Windows and a few nice tools, not
> forgetting the manual pages for all of the above.

True.  I think the problem is I don't exactly know who is likely to buy the
CD and why.

> I think that if you do a second CD (and it sounds like you should), that
> the second CD is the one which should have sources to the system, so that
> those who are more experienced or those who want to play with lower level
> code, can then choose to have this additional CD.

Sounds sensible.  A quick recalc shows that not putting the source on
saves about 240MB, giving near 400MB for packages.  Which hopefully should be
enough for the ones people want.

> BTW,
> I'm having trouble creating a new user account other than root.  I've been
> using useradd, but it keeps saying that my passwords I suggest are not
> legal ones and says that it set them to "************" does this mean the
> password is in fact all "*"s?  That is what is in the password file when I
> do vipw

the *'s are probably a place holder.  What happens if you use `passwd
username` as root?  does that work.

> I thought that passwords were encrypted in this file.

They should be.

> Also, how to I configure the system to know what the root device is when it
> boots, it asks me every time and I have to tell it "wd0a"?

Which bootloader are you using?

Cheers,
Chris