Subject: Re: Wakefield CD
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/06/2001 19:27:04
On Monday 23 April 2001  9:10 pm, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a bid to be organised I thought I'd tempt people with what I plan to be
> on the CD at wakefield (this doesn't mean it'll all make it, experience
> shows that it doesn't always ;).
>
> 1.5.1 build - in whatever state it's at that point should be late beta or
> release
> Also Xsrc build against 1.5.1 (will probably be xfree86 v3.3.6 based, as we
> don't do 4.0.x on arm)
>
> -current build - probably a reasonably recent current
> source code for both of the above (tbz'd (bzip2 compresses better, even if
> it's not standard ;).
>
> Bootloaders, the new one from Andrew for release, and Reinoud's new one for
> -current)
>
> copy of www.netbsd.org (from CVS)
> copy of NetBSD guide (from archive supplied by author (thanks to Federico)
>
> And the remaining space hopefully filled with pkgs :)

It looks like we may have a space problem for the CD. David Forbes has told
me that the packages themselves will fill the whole CD, looking at what I aim
to have on it, the CD just ain't big enough.

So the question is should I cut down what's on the CD?

1.5.1 build (currently 60MB without X, building X as we speak so I'm
expecting 100MB)

netbsd 1.5.x source code will probably be about 60-70 as well.
X source code is about 35 MB, without the xfree86 v4 (which is 40MB).

current build is probably about the same size, source code for current is
about closer to 100MB now (due to 2 toolchains in gnu, cvs, more archs in sys
etc)

pkgsrc code is 9MB

uncompressed copy of www.netbsd.org is 30 MB (that includes an old copy of
the netbsd guide)

netbsd guide (more recent) is about 3MB

bootloaders, probably a couple of meg.

Anyway to sumarize:
1.5.1 build		60MB
X build for above	40MB (unknown currently)
1.5.1 source		70MB
X 3.3.6 source		35MB
Bootloaders		2MB  (probably less)

X 4.0.x source		40MB

current build		70MB  (guestimate)
current source		100MB

Netbsd.org		30MB
netbsd guide		3MB

pkgsrc			9MB

Total			459MB

Leaving under 180MB for packages.

However chopping some stuff out, eg current, X4 source, we probably fill
about 249MB, leaving 350+ MB for packages.

Perhaps I should consider doing 2 CD's?  one with packages on the other with
NetBSD on it?  (and buy 1 get 2nd CD cheap?)

Any thoughts?  What would people prefer?

Cheers,
Chris