Subject: Re: Porting NetBSD to a different ARM platform
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: John Clark <jclark@teamasa.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/01/2001 12:38:06
Ben Harris wrote:

> In article <4.3.2.7.2.20010430174803.00b91988@mail.larwe.com> you write:
> >I'm currently developing with arm-elf-gcc under Cygwin (so yes I have CVS).
> >Would it be easier to work under x86 Linux (I don't want to try to install
> >NetBSD on my main dev machine unless I absolutely have to)?
>
> For building the kernel, I suspect either will work, but Linux is likely to
> be slightly easier, since it's rather more Unix-like.  You basically need
> the NetBSD make(1) and config(8), both of which should build on any POSIX
> system, and the GNU toolchain.  For building kernels, the unmodified GNU
> tools targetted on arm-unknown-elf should work correctly (that being the
> toolchain NetBSD/arm26 used for a long time).

About a month ago I tried this on a redhat linux distribution and got
a number of 'missing this, missing that' errors, and did some amount
of fix ups to fill in those blanks. Unfortunately time at the moment
does not permit me to continue, but it is not exactly unbundle
the standard base set of sources and 'make world', even with bsdmake...

For example a list of missing items:

ls -l /usr/dev*/arm/cross/bin
total 176
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root       136249 Apr  1 04:36 bmake
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5626 Apr  1 06:45 install
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5626 Apr  1 06:45 install-sh
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        19027 Apr  1 06:41 mtree
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Apr  1 08:00 yacc -> /usr/bin/bison

and:

ls -l /usr/dev*/arm/cross/usr
total 8
drwxrwxr-x   10 234      125          4096 Apr  1 05:57 include
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     root         4096 Apr  1 04:30 share

The 'share' directory is for the bmake above.
The include directory is a compile till crash collection of include
files which are required.

If of  course there is some niffty way to do this, I'd be interested....

At the moment, I think I'm going to try to set up a i386 based
NetBSD disk for such porting, when I have the time to do so.