Subject: Re: Porting NetBSD to a different ARM platform
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards <larwe@larwe.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/30/2001 17:51:33
>answer your questions, but I'm not the worst either.  Oh, and netbsd-ports
>and port-arm are probably better mailing lists for your purposes than
>port-arm32.

OK, thanks - I'll head off to them :)

> >TCP/IP stack and ISO9660 filesystem, not to mention multithreading.
>
>In that case, you should be aware that NetBSD's support for multi-threaded
>user applications is a little rudimentary -- the kernel doesn't export a

As long as the kernel is capable of handling multiple concurrent tasks, I
can kludge everything I need. All I really lack right now is serialization
of filesystem I/O.

>updated every day.  If you've got CVS, you'll probably find anonymous CVS
>access to be more useful.  See

I'm currently developing with arm-elf-gcc under Cygwin (so yes I have CVS).
Would it be easier to work under x86 Linux (I don't want to try to install
NetBSD on my main dev machine unless I absolutely have to)?

>Incidentally, you should be aware that NetBSD/arm is in a somewhat
>transitional state at the moment, as we try to re-organise it along slightly
>more sensible lines.  Be careful around the virtual scaffolding.

Thanks for the heads-up and other information!

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."