Subject: Re: Wakefield CD
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/23/2001 22:39:11
> > It used to be the case (though I haven't tried it recently), that Xsrc had
> > to be built with gcc-2.95 because something was being miscompiled in the
> > libraries.
>
> Really?  I'd not heard of that one, I did the previous CD's with the standard
> gcc.  Hmm, There's a possibility it's been fixed or made into a -O0 file?

I doubt it's been hacked to -O0, since I've never known which of the
libraries, let alone which of the files within the particular library, was
being miscompiled (it is a library though, not the Xserver).  It manifests
itself as widgets failing to get redrawn (which also makes it hard to
track down, since trying to find when something is *not* done is nearly
always harder than trying to find when something is done :-(

> I'll cope, not sure my mailbox will, (ponders how many emails all the lists
> I'm on can send in 1 week)

You should try the gnu lists I'm on -- which have been known to deliver as
many as 200 messages in a single night...

> Ps which is your real email addr?  Richard.Earnshaw or rearnsha at buzzard?
> (I know that they both go to the same account, but it gets confusing :)

Well my user id is rearnsha, but I prefer to use Richard.Earnshaw in mail
headers when I can persuade my mailer to co-operate (which is rarely).  My
user id might change -- my name is less likely to :-)

R.