Subject: Re: newbie questions
To: Beert Chris van 't Hul <bvthul@cistron.nl>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/23/2001 20:32:47
On Monday 23 April 2001  6:33 pm, Beert Chris van 't Hul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am investigating whether I want to use/install netBSD
> on my RiscPC system. On a HTML page I found
> information about supported hardware. One of the IDE interfaces
> mentioned is 'ICSC IDE Atcin v5 and v6'.
>
> Is the the same/equivalent of te APDL IDE interface?

It used to be, but I've not heard of anyone actually trying the latest APDL
interface.

> I wonder what the characteristics are of the xserver:
>	How many colors does it support resolution?

The same as Risc-OS (or I believe it's most of them)

>	Does it support the Vram of the RISC-PC??

Yes, if VRAM is available we use it otherwise we can use DRAM. (as risc-os
does)

> On one of the HTML pages it was mentioned that netBSD supoorts etherM but
> that there is a problem withit. The problem was due to a hardware problem.

Yes it does, and there is a strange quirk (but I get the same problem with
risc-os, if you power cycle too quickly the card doesn't reset)

> I find this strange beacause I use it on my RiscPC with RISCS-OS and have
> ad never any problem. Can somebody give some more info about this. DOes the
> problem occcur frequenlty??

I've only had problems with it if I power-cycle too quickly (only do it when
I can't be bothered to find that pesky reset button on the back ;)  Other
than that it works quite happily on my home network (sparc and i386 also on
it)

> I am currenlty investiagting if I want to use/install netBSD on my RiscPC
> system. On one of the HTML page a reference is made about the upcoming
> Wakefield event.
>
> it is written that a CD with netBSD software will be sold during that day.
> What about people that can not attend the evet (like me). What needs to be
> doneto get the CD and which version (hopefully the latest and greatest) is
> on that CD?

A CD will be on sale, see seperate email about what's planned to be on the CD
that I'll send tonight.  In the past I've offered to mail out CD's to those
than can't make the show but I've not actually had any takers yet.  I'm quite
happy to send a CD to europe.

Cheers,
Chris