Subject: Re: Shocking news: no 24 bits colour
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/10/2001 10:16:52
> 	The amiga port also has custom graphics chipsets that are
> 	configured from a userland tool. While there are bound to differ
> 	somewhat, it might make sense to use a common API for
> 	communicating the information to the kernel, and ideally use the
> 	same ws* tool - though it would obviously have to understand
> 	RiscOS and AmigaOS format monitor files as well as maybe some
> 	superset format.

I have no problem making use of an existing interface if it exists and
does what is needed.
Shouldn't wscons have an interface which allows this sort of control
already?

> 	Would it make sense to default to the RiscOS mode, and have a
> 	userland tool able to load a given mode into the bootloader/kernel
> 	for those who prefer that?

I have no problem with this. The RISC OS mode is a reasonable starting
point. I also think we may need an IOCTL to read the current mode. This
will allow applications which want to do their own mode switch will be
able to restore back to the original mode on exit.

Mike