Subject: Re: How will I build port-dnard from port-cats (etc) ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/10/2001 02:04:21
> It's not that:  you have to build some of the .o's in userland ahead of
> timein order for install media to build.  The typical answer is "you need to
> have a built userland in your obj tree to build crunchgen binaries."  I
> think that's rather stupid, IMNSHO.

Ah yes. Okay, I'm definitely with you on this one. I'd like to evolve things
in a direction where we don't have quite so many things caching other things
and breaking -- like the recent lossage in x_dhclient where ramdiskbin.conf
had to be updated to track the changing list of .o's.

> : I would think that a mk.conf setting "BUILD_ALL_RELATED_PORTS" :) would be
> : reasonable enough to activate it.
>
> That's going too far.  Everything in a MACHINE_ARCH should be able to share
> the entire set of non-kvm binaries, bringing them closer to a shared /usr.
> Only mdec and kvm grovellers have to be built separately--and even those
> cases can be smoothed out.  This is a *long term* goal.

Please don't say things like that when there is a Short Term screwage coming
which is that 1 arm32 machine currently builds all the ports whereas shortly
it will only be able to build its own port. I consider this to be a major
drop in efficiency because it means signing up potentially four release
builders instead of one.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com