Subject: Re: How will I build port-dnard from port-cats (etc) ?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/09/2001 10:55:06
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Todd Whitesel wrote:

: > A decoupling of install media/kernels and userland build is on my personal
: > to-do list.
:
: Aren't they already? 'make build' doesn't descend into src/distrib.

It's not that:  you have to build some of the .o's in userland ahead of
timein order for install media to build.  The typical answer is "you need to
have a built userland in your obj tree to build crunchgen binaries."  I
think that's rather stupid, IMNSHO.

: > This would allow, for instance, a single m68k userland build,
: > modulo some possibly separately built binaries (or, developer concensus to
: > build all m68k-based MD userland binaries on all m68k platforms).
:
: I would think that a mk.conf setting "BUILD_ALL_RELATED_PORTS" :) would be
: reasonable enough to activate it.

That's going too far.  Everything in a MACHINE_ARCH should be able to share
the entire set of non-kvm binaries, bringing them closer to a shared /usr.
Only mdec and kvm grovellers have to be built separately--and even those
cases can be smoothed out.  This is a *long term* goal.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/