Subject: Re: New name for the split
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk,>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/07/2001 09:35:05
On Saturday 07 April 2001 12:00 am, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Within that, I think there need to be (at least) four kernels.
>
> GENERIC - boots on all three variants.  Shouldn't be hard, since all have
> the same basic boot services (RISC OS).

It'll take some work to support the ARM7500's in the same kernel as the
iomd2, some of the low level routines are designed for one to be defined
without the other, this can be dealt with, a quick grep shows about 15 #ifdef
or #ifndef's for ARM7500 in the arch/arm32 dirs, so it shouldn't take too
long to sort out, but some routines will have to be used depending on the
detected chip, eg the irq_entry code is slightly different between the iomd
and arm7500's as the iomd only had 2 irq bytes while the arm7500 seems to
have 4.  I'll look into splitting that into 2 functions and based on the
detect iomd we switch (which isn't too hard :)

> RISCPC, A7000, NC -- self explanatory.
>
> However, before we do this grand renaming, I'd wait until we've got a few
> mroe things out of the old tree -- the podulebus code for starters.  It
> seems daft to copy it to one place and then a short time later copy it
> somewhere else.

I think it's more a case of when someone has the time to do this moving of
code around.

Cheers,
Chris