Subject: Re: New name for the split
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/07/2001 00:00:07
> Dear all,
>
> since we are on the virge of splitting off RiscPC/A7000/NC code from the
> now defunct arm32 I am proposing the following :
>  - we get a new name for the port :)
>  - I copy the current arm32 tree, rename it (i.e. make it compile again)
>  - I import/commit the new port name
>  - everyone STOPS working on the arm32 tree but starts working on the new
>    branch
>  - we delete stuff from DNARD etc
>  - we merge RiscPC/A7000/NC into *one* kernel using a machine discriptor
>    structure with #defines or preferable seperate files to allow small
>    kernels
>  - ...
>
> Ideas for the port name include `acorn', `acornriscpc', `armriscpc',
> `riscpcarm', `riscpc' , ....
>
> The name `arch/archimedes' and `arch/imedes' are allready reserved!! :)

I'd go for acorn32 (since all these machines are basically Acorn-derived
and use chips that support 32-bit mode).  Also, it avoids calling the
A7000 and NC machines a riscpc, which they aren't really.

Within that, I think there need to be (at least) four kernels.

GENERIC - boots on all three variants.  Shouldn't be hard, since all have
the same basic boot services (RISC OS).

RISCPC, A7000, NC -- self explanatory.

However, before we do this grand renaming, I'd wait until we've got a few
mroe things out of the old tree -- the podulebus code for starters.  It
seems daft to copy it to one place and then a short time later copy it
somewhere else.

R.