Subject: New ea(4) and eb(4) drivers
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/06/2001 13:56:45
Followers of NetBSD-current may have noticed my recent work on the drivers
for Ether3 and EtherB cards in Risc PCs.  I think these drivers (which
retain the names "ea" and "eb" used by the old drivers) are now ready for
general use.  Go on, prove me wrong!

The new drivers are just front ends to a machine-independent (but
suspiciously familiar-looking) driver for SEEQ 8005-like chips.  I don't
think there are any new bugs in this driver, and it seems about as fast as
the old ones.

The new driver also supports multicast, though this seems to expose some
inconsistencies elsewhere in the kernel when used with the 8005, which
causes IPv6 duplicate address detection to fail.  A workaround is to set
net.inet6.ip6.dad_count to 0.  I'll take this up with the nice people on
tech-net in a moment.