Subject: Re: HEADS UP: initial wscons for RiscPC/A7000 committed
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/26/2001 00:19:41
Hiya Richard,

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl said:
> >  The old vidcconsole keeps working as does X.
>
> Not for me it doesn't.  I'm using a 16-bit xserver, and it seems to die
> leaving me with white text on a white background.  It's not panicing,
> since I can type reboot and the machine comes back up cleanly, but I can't
> see anything else.

Traced it down !! I've patched the .../arm32/vidc/console/vidcrender.c ;
there was a bug in the ioctl handling that made `setvideo' mess things up.
Also there was a combinational effect of you not mentioning this mode in
your config file (1152x900 was there but not 1152x864) and the fact that
the fallback mode it uses was 1024x768 wich cant be run in 16bpp ... the
mmap went wrong then too.

The crash itself came from an invalid access due to a misunderstanding on
a parameter that caused the kernel to run out of a table :( ... this needs
to be fixed in time.

Try again :))

Cheers,
Reinoud