Subject: Re: HEADS UP: initial wscons for RiscPC/A7000 committed
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/22/2001 02:33:30
Hi Richard,

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl said:
> >  The old vidcconsole keeps working as does X.
>
> Not for me it doesn't.  I'm using a 16-bit xserver, and it seems to die
> leaving me with white text on a white background.  It's not panicing,
> since I can type reboot and the machine comes back up cleanly, but I can't
> see anything else.

Oh boy .... well i discoved another irritating ``feature'' : a malfunction
to initialise the screen when using the combination of the new bootloader
and the vidcconsole so there must be something different; will take a look
at it !!!

The old bootloader worked fine for me .. it booted strait into the 16 bit
modes and X worked as well as normal ... hmm... do you have DRAM or VRAM?

The behaviour you mention is when the X server gives an error while
starting ... can you try to type a lot of returns until the screen gets
reset again? or switch virtual console and type returns until your screen
gets reset (HW scrolling related) and switch back to the other virtual
console ? ... Then you can see the error the X server gives .... I'm most
interested to see what it states... propably the renaming issue some time
ago... but that shouldnt be causing this ... you can try to use `./MAKEDEV
all' in /dev to make sure you have the new devices if X is falling over
that...

Oh BTW.. its safer to use `shutdown -r now' :))

I hope this will lead to that annoying bug ...

Thanks a lot for reporting!

Cheers,
Reinoud