Subject: Re: Anybody using SCSI with a RiscPC ?
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/18/2001 16:52:23
> On Sunday 18 March 2001 11:47 am, Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:
> > Or is SCSI that broken on the RiscPC, that nobody does it, or even
> > considers it ?
>
> I think it's more likely that none/few of the active developers have scsi
> cards, I've got a RapIDE to get the ide performance up, never considered scsi
> (or had the money to)

I have a SCSI card, but it's an ancient Acorn AKA31.

> > I think I remember some sort of DMA problems relating to that, but
> > maybe that's just been on the Connect32 (aka SCSIConnect).
>
> I don't believe that DMA works on any cards (include the IDE ones), currently
> we use polling mode on the SCSI cards.

Well, again, I have DMA working on my card, but it doesn't DMA directly to
main memory -- instead the DMA runs to buffer memory in the card which
then has to be copied with special bounce routines into main memory.

However, most storage in my RPC hangs off the system IDE controller.

R.