Subject: Re: PR 12312 - madplay dumps core
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/14/2001 10:44:44
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 12:40:32PM +0000, Rolf Neugebauer wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, what were you referring to when saying that
> > madplay is the only usable mp3 player on sharks? Are there problems
> > with mpg123 on NetBSD 1.5?
>
> oh, it's fine, as long as
>
> - you accept a 50% higher cpu load
> - you accept that it sounds awful for some (e.g., low bitrate) streams.
> - I think the author claims madplay is better, but I have no high acoustic
>   quality listening environment to test myself.

As the author of the fixed-point mpg123 patches, I whole-heartedly agree
that you shouldn't use them :-)  They were really only a stopgap measure
that happened to work reasonably well until something better came along.

There are also some circumstances where even with high bitrate streams
the fixed-point version of mpg123 has nasty audio artifacts.  Perhaps
the only redeeming feature of mpg123 over madplay is that currenly
madplay doesn't support interactive keyboard controls, but this is being
worked on.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/