Subject: Re: Wakefield show (again :)
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@argonet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/10/2001 10:31:24
In article <01030922491503.00671@pinky.paradox.demon.co.uk>,
   Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Things I've thought of:
> demoing an install (perhaps isn't that interesting?)

I do not think demo'ing an install would be that useful. You could
probably take up all the time allocated for the talk doing it, and
I do not think that people will take it in. I think it might be
more constructive if it was demo'ed on the stand.

> talk about future directions, eg smp? xscale etc.

Also I would describe the background to NetBSD with a little of
its history and the aims of the project. I would mention that
NetBSD has been around on the RiscPC since 1996 and thank Mark
Brinicombe, Neil Carson and the other earlier developers for all
their work.

> Answer questions
> Why unix, possibly why bsd over linux...

I think I would position NetBSD as an alternative to Linux that
some people might prefer. They are different sides of the same
coin. It might be worth explaining the difference between
Unix-like operating systems and RISC OS, for example, Unix
provides a robust, flexible programming environment for many users
whereas RISC OS is a light weight client OS for a single user.
I think describing how pre-emptive multitasking works compared to
the cooperative task switching of RISC OS might be too technical,
but I think it would be needed to say why Unix is a much more
general purpose OS than RISC OS. On the other hand, you would
probably need to say that RISC OS is easier to use and Unix
presents a formidible challenge to the non-technical user. In
short, I would go down the 'alternative' route comparing it to
Linux and RISC OS rather than the 'better than'.

> Has anyone got any advice/ideas?  Mainly because for this I want to at least
> be prepared.

Just a few thoughts.

Dave Daniels