Subject: Re: StrongARM performance tweaks cpufunc_asm.S
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/09/2001 14:51:45
On Thursday 08 March 2001 11:15 am, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Well the SA TRM definitely says that two banks aren't necessary iff the
> memory is unused for any other purpose.  (maybe this was a hack to work
> around not draining the write buffers properly :-)  I've been using this
> code for ~6 months in my own kernel and not seen any ill effects from it.

just out of curiosity (and cos it's a mad idea :), would it be pheasible to
use any constant block of 16k?  eg the first 16k of the kernel (or perhaps
the 16k around some bit of code that would benefit? maybe use lr as the start
of the 16k, we know we're about to run that code so why not just pre-cache
it?))  just seems a waste to load in 16k of nothing if we could load 16k of
code that we're likely to run.

Chris