Subject: Re: Using new bootloader with 1.5
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/05/2001 21:59:08
Hiya Stephen,

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> I'm using the new bootloader on ftp.netbsd.org on an NC. I'd rather not
> run -current for this if possible (perhaps when the memory map stops
> shifting from day to day). What do I need to patch in a 1.5 source
> tree? Can I just copy rpc_machdep.c? I will be solely running the new
> bootloader (so I don't need anything to understand COMPAT_OLD_BOOTLOADER).
> I've done this and a kernel has been compiled fine.

Well the minimum `patch' is indeed only the new rpc_machdep.c from
-current. This will work on its own. You can unset COMPAT_OLD_BOOTLOADER
to only get the new bootloader without any compatibility stuff added to
it.

> I'm having problems with the bootloader itself though. It is giving the
> following error:
>
> Can't use array reference here at line 2490
>
> Sticking a few PRINTs in shows that txtbasepage% starts off at 608, but
> when pg% reaches 20 this jumps to 542328403 which then gives rise to the
> above error. Memory somewhere is being overwritten...

Yikes !!! Hmm.... the safest way is propably to increase the WimpSlot in
wich the program runs; I think it might be a bit too short. I've been
working on a better detection mechanism for `out of pages' but am
distracted for now for work on wscons.

Could you please try it with a bigger WimpSlot ? and please download the
latest version of the new bootloader; lots of bugs have been fixed.

Cheers,
Reinoud