Subject: Re: 'make build' takes very looong..
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/04/2001 09:38:21
> Hi,
>
> after receiving a second hand SA-110 (233 MHz) yesterday, I started a
> kernel compile and afterwards a make build.
>
> I must confess that I was quite astonished how long this took and
> still takes.
> The kernel takes about 1 hour to compile, while the 'make build'

A time of 1hour is pretty normal for a kernel on an SA.
> is still in /usr/src/lib/ after more than 10 hours of compiling.
>
> Did I miss something or that really normal ?

Sounds quite slow. On my SA RiscPC make build takes just under 24 hours. On a
positive note this build time has remained almost the same despite the fact
that the NetBSD source tree continues to grow so performance is improving.

Mike
> I tested the CPU with the distributed.net-client under Risc OS,
> which gave the expected results, it seems the CPU is okay.
>
> I'm just curious, as I remember my AMD K6-200 took about 8 hours to do
> a complete 'make build'.

make build is memory and disk intensive and the PC has much faster interfaces
to both of those.

Mike