Subject: Re: Today's kernel sources won't boot.
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/01/2001 03:25:05
Hiya Richard, Chris, Ben and all others,

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Arrgh!  I've just pulled down today's latest sources (well, about 1900GMT
> this evening) and rebuilt my kernel (trying to fix that kernel problem I
> posted about yesterday).
>
> The kernel won't boot.  It dies somewhere very early on in the bootstrap
> sequence (probably not long after printing out the memory bank
> information, but I can't be sure since the screen goes blank).

YIPPY-A-JAY !!!! .... before you think i'm getting crazy ... i was having
the same problem too !!!! I only thought it was due to my wscons code !!!!
I looked and looked and looked !!! and now at least i know it is not in my
code !!! YAY!!!

> I do get the whinge about not having upgraded my bootloader, but I don't
> want to do that, since I'm still occasionally wanting to boot an old
> kernel.

Well it isnt the bootloader i can asure you ... its somewhere in deep
space ... I can trace it back as to when the page0 is copied in ... or the
next thing that is done : setting up stuff....

I noticed that it does get on ... probes the floppy etc... the HD and then
... *poof* it leaves the LED of the HD on and dies....

> Also, the text that does get printed seems to shimmer on the monitor quite
> a bit -- nothing like as stable as it was.

You too ??? this is getting wierder and wierder ... my kernel is from 20
feb. but i honestly dont think it can really be related to this...

Cheers,
Reinoud