Subject: Re: Today's kernel sources won't boot.
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/01/2001 00:02:50
On Wednesday 28 February 2001 11:51 pm, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Arrgh!  I've just pulled down today's latest sources (well, about 1900GMT
> this evening) and rebuilt my kernel (trying to fix that kernel problem I
> posted about yesterday).

I'm currently cvs'ing the source, but have some conflicts to work out so
probably won't look at it till tommorrow night.  (The last arm32 kernel I did
was from feb 16th, pre the new bootloader stuff, pre the iomd and vidc moving
around, and a lot of the merged arm26/arm32 stuff

I did note ben put a comment in a cvs change today:
PCB convergence, part the first:
Move the pointer to the current user trapframe from struct mdproc to struct
pcb (as on arm26).  Only tested by compiling kernels on arm32 and
hpcarm (dnard seems to be incomplete anyway).  Someone should try running one.

> The kernel won't boot.  It dies somewhere very early on in the bootstrap
> sequence (probably not long after printing out the memory bank
> information, but I can't be sure since the screen goes blank).

Hmm does it get as far as the:
NetBSD 1.5S (PINKY2) #20: Wed Feb 28 09:09:26 GMT 2001
    chris@pinky.paradox.demon.co.uk:/usr/src/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/PINKY2
(or similair?)

IE past the primary and secondary bootstrap, and actually start the real
kernel?  If it doesn't then it's the new bootloader/vidc/iomd moving around
that's the problem.

> I do get the whinge about not having upgraded my bootloader, but I don't
> want to do that, since I'm still occasionally wanting to boot an old
> kernel.

I believe you can use them both (they're different risc-os apps)

> Also, the text that does get printed seems to shimmer on the monitor quite
> a bit -- nothing like as stable as it was.

Hmmm, if no-one else finds the time I'll look into it next week, I've just
not had time for code with moving etc.

> Any clues?

Random thought, you do have the latest /usr/sbin/config binary so that make
depend does dependancies for .S files?

Cheers,
Chris