Subject: Re:
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/25/2001 16:26:34
On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Matt Thomas wrote:

> The above file needs to be common between the arm platforms
> so that gdb support for kcore and kernel debugging can work.

This will happen fairly soon (there are other things it will help with).

> It would be nice if all registers could be contained in the
> pcb as that greatly simplifies gdb support.

Ugh.  This is a bit awkward.  At the moment, we keep the user registers on
the kernel stack, and have a (probably constant) pointer to them from the
pcb (or proc structure on arm32).  Moving them to the pcb will entail
either changing the exception entry code to be able to find the pcb or
copying the registers fram the stack to the pcb when necessary (which is
probably immediately after the exception if we want them to be in place
for a potential panic).

Does this apply to kernel registers saved on context switches?  How about
registers saved on IRQ entry?