Subject: Enlarging KVM to 240Mb on EBSA/CATS/RPC's + possible speedups
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/23/2001 14:01:38
Dear all,

i've been thinking about the following patch i would like to make for
arm32 to allow KVM to be 256 Mb (max anyway to support OFW machines)....

I would like to put all hardware device area's out of the KVM space and
BEFORE the kernel-space i.e. before 0xf0000000. The KVM space would then
grow from 0x5000000 (80Mb) to 0xe0000000 (240Mb)....

Why one could ask ... well there were some complaints about the KVM space
being too small and i noticed some oddities in the RPC/A7000 podule space
code using level 2 page tables to map in parts of the potential huge
podule memory space to save KVM (have to verify this ... but all signs
point to that).

In my opinion this isnt nessisary at all.... If we would map the podule
space, MEMC, VIDC, Video memory and on EBSA/CATS machines the Footbridge
below the kernel, we can easily use Section mappings wich are level 1 page
descriptors of 1Mb instead of a layer of 2nd level page descriptors of
64kb/4kb. This will surely IMHO less trash the TLB and thus speedup the
machines.

Any idea's before i really go into this ? Any catches ? Who would like to
try some test kernels for EBSA/CATS when i am ready for it ?

Cheers,
Reinoud