Subject: Re: ARM ELF toolchain patches
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/22/2001 00:27:46

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 12:17:17AM +0000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> >
> > the ATPCS PIC model is quite significantly different from our own, and I'm
> > not sure we want to use it.  It does have the advantage that it extends to
> > running code out of ROM, but that isn't a major issue for us.  The major
> > cost of ATPCS pic model is that it locks down a register at all times if
> > shared libraries might be available, since the PIC base register must
> > always point to a PIC table, even in non-pic code (so that we can look up
> > a new pic table when we move to a new shared lib).
>
> Could you explain this more?  From your brief statement, it actually
> sounds like this is exactly where I want to go.

It's probably easiest (not to mention least likely to insert translation
errors) if you pull the ATPCS document off the ARM web site (www. ...) --
I can't remember the URL off hand, but it's on the additional
documentation page along with the apps notes.  The search engine ought to
find it for you :-)

R.