Subject: Re: Xarm32VIDC Problem?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@argonet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/21/2001 18:13:45
In article <01022114514300.00324@pinky.paradox.demon.co.uk>,
   Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> AFAIR 800x600 should work, but you end up with the bottom line being cut in
> half, although I've not run 800x600 for a long long time.

In normal 'console' mode under NetBSD 1.5, on my A7000+, 800 by
600 works but you get some rubbish at the bottom of the screen. I
think that the bottom eight lines are affected. The only other
issue I have found is that you have to ensure that the screen
memory allocated is 512K or 1M otherwise all the lines are offset
by half the width of the screen. On my RiscPC, 800 by 600 is
unusable. All of the characters are corrupted (I am thinking about
raising a problem report about this). Other screen modes that I
have tried (1280 by 1024, 1024 by 768 and 640 by 480) all work
correctly.

On the subject of screen resolution, when wscons is implemented
for NetBSD on Acorn hardware, could it be set up so that we still
get the screen sizes (in characters) that we do now? On a 800 by
600 screen, for example, the size in characters is 100 by 37. I
consider this to be very useful. The PC standard 80 by 25 might
have been the state of the art a quarter of a century ago, but on
Acorn hardware we do not need to be limited to this. In my view it
would be a bad retrograde step in NetBSD if you were suddenly
restricted to this or one of the other PC screen sizes such as 80 by
43 on an Acorn machine. Please make sure wscons gives us the same
screen sizes that we use today.

Dave Daniels