Subject: Re: New bootconfig structure proposal
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/16/2001 15:42:28
Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl> writes:
> Well .... yes.... but is it really favourable ? I mean ... you have to run
> a newly build kernel to do that anyway so why not use the new bootloader
> then ?

well, for one, unless i'm mistaken, it's probably 'harder' to upgrade
the bootloader than it is to upgrade the kernel...

i.e., a kernel upgrade's more likely than a bootloader upgrade.

(certainly, on e.g. netbsd/i386 or /alpha, i pretty much only install
new boot loaders when i completely reinstall the machine, that
typically happens about once every 2 NetBSD releases... for the
interim release, i much prefer to just plonk down a new kernel...)

cgd