Subject: Re: NetBSD/hpcarm snap code
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/16/2001 18:36:51
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:16:23PM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
>
>  > Hmm.  This assumes you ultimately want to move all the ARM
>  > peripheral-controller code over to sys/arch/arm, which only makes sense to
>  > me if you're trying to get rid of sys/arch/arm32.  This doesn't seem to be
>  > an entirely settled issue yet.
>
> I thought the consensus was to have:
>
> 	arch/archidemes
> 	arch/acornriscpc
> 	arch/cats
> 	arch/dnard
> 	arch/hpcarm
> 	arch/rc7500
>
> etc. and then to move the ARM CPU code into arch/arm/...?

I think calling it "consensus" is optimistic, though the majority of
people seemed to be in favour of that kind of move.  In any case, I'm not
sure that on-chip peripherals really count as part of the ARM
CPU.  They're more equivalent to the IOMD or Footbridge, whose support
code would presumably live in the riscpc and cats directories
respectively.

> This only makes
> sense if we are indeed moving towards a common MACHINE_ARCH (i.e. using the
> same ABI for userland).

We are.  We're still deciding quite what it'll look like, though (We
changed the endianness of doubles this week).