Subject: Re: crashing sharks (was Re: More ELF stuff)
To: Neil Hoggarth <njh@kernighan.demon.co.uk>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/16/2001 11:10:05
--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 08:38:20PM +0000, Neil Hoggarth wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>=20
> > Symptoms are that the machine locks solid (I think it's disk IO related,
> > but it could be soft-dep or any of a number of other things).  I can't =
get
> > any backtrace out of the machine since the console is dead.  Certainly =
the
> > crash seems to happen most when there is heavy disk io involved.  I've
> > seen reports that this might pre-date 1.5 (see PR port-arm32/11921 and
> > port-arm32/9859).
>=20
> I get something very like this on a CATS running 1.5BETA if, and only if,
> I use a kernel which *lacks* the following from its configuration:
>=20
> file-system NFS
> file-system MSDOSFS
=2E..

As the submitter of 9859, let me comment:

I've tried different disks on that machine, and it works.
I've tried that disk on a different shark, and it wedges.

I've also seen reports that it happens on some disk + some laptop
combinations, so I think it is something timing related that might or
might not be the wdc drivers fault. See Manuels report in there.

Richard: you could try to change the disk.

Regards,
	Ignatios

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz--