Subject: Re: Heads-up: Unified libkern
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/16/2001 00:58:30
Hi Ben,

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Ben Harris wrote:
> NetBSD/arm32 is now using the shared NetBSD/arm libkern sources.  If
> you're updating your kernel sources by CVS, remember to specify -d to get
> the old directory removed.  I believe this should all work, but I haven't
> got an arm32 system to try booting my new kernel on, so someone else
> should check it hasn't all broken horribly.

Great !!!! wonderfull ... thanks a lot. I think this a good way to go; i'm
feeling this could be a good start of building the arm32 port up again ...
some parts just need rewriting/rethinking and this partial merge is a good
start.

After i'm finished with my bootloader (working on the last problems with
RO 3.7 i hope!) , planned this weekend (!), i'll start working on the
merge and cleanup more and more also in my efford to make the Kinetic card
operating properly.

Is there a real desire to keep using the old bootloader ? It could be an
option in the configure file but i'd rather have the new bootloader and a
changed version of bootconfig.h ....

One thing that does bother me is the slow compilation speed of my ARM7
processor... that makes testing and work on SA related stuff not nice at
all ... for i allways have to rely on others to test. Is any of you in a
position and/or willing to lend me a StrongARM card/Kinetic or a CATS ?
that would make development so much faster and easier. Now a complete
kernel rebuild takes over 3 to 4 hours :(( and some small changes in much
used header files take the same :(

Cheers,
Reinoud