Subject: Re: Relevance of ARM merge (was: Re: port-arm26 and port-arm32 into
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/14/2001 19:23:56
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Stephen Borrill wrote:

> Yes, Ben is doing a sterling job. arm26 is never going to be widely used
> though. Obviously, arm32 is the future of NetBSD on ARM. It's not a big
> leap to see Ben doing more and more on arm32 (especially if we get a
> merged userland/toolchain). Recently we've got more kernel hackers than
> we've ever had before, perhaps the time is ripe for a new portmaster (or
> at least an acting portmaster). It's a big responsibility to ask anyone to
> take on, but my 0.02ukp is that Ben is the obvious choice (if he's
> willing). I could be persuaded to donate RiscPC/CATS hardware.

I don't think I could exactly be said to be willing...  I'm quite happy to
carry on merging code, and maintaining merged code.  I wouldn't have much
objection to taking over the maintenance of the Risc PC code either, as
long as someone gave me a Risc PC in return.  I don't want to end up
maintaining the whole arm32 codebase though.  There's too much of it, it's
in too much of a mess, and I simply haven't got the time.

Personally, I think we should give developer accounts to anyone around
here with something worthwhile to contribute, wait a month or two and see
if an obvious new leader emerges.  If I'm lucky, it won't be me.