Subject: Re: New kinetic figures
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/13/2001 15:24:40
> Certainly faster, the difference is probably even bigger for the slower
> risc-pc's.
>
> The fork/exit loop comes in with:
> 8.43 real         0.00 user         2.07 sys
> compared with previous to this patch
> 9.17 real         0.00 user         2.06 sys

So, I finally got around to propagating the pmap changes I had made at
home to my shark here at work.  As you will recall, when I first posted
timings for this test I was running a fairly standard SHARK kernel with no
local hacks.  The timings were nearly identical to the kinetic numbers
above, vis

Shark/NetBSD(SA110/233MHz)  	real 9.2  user 0.02 sys 1.9

With my pmap changes applied these numbers come down to

real 7.6  user 0.02  sys 1.7

And with Jason's patch, I now get

real 6.9  user 0.02  sys 1.6

which in my book is pretty darn close to 25% improvement on the original
figures.

Time to polish off those changes and get them posted me-thinks.

R.