Subject: Re: New bootloader for RiscPC+Kinetic available
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/13/2001 00:30:29
'evening Chris (last time this night! :))

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> I think other things use it, IOMD possibly.  As I said it locked up (normally
> doing a make build)  I suspect that we need to work out what buffers are DMA
> and make the malloc's use a dma version.  Preference would be to not use the
> simms but for DMA.  However it needs pmap work I believe.  I've not got time
> at the mo to investigate, I'm moving in a few days time.

Well yeah that would be good to investigate. Sound is definataly one ...
it seems to use uvm_km_alloc(kernel_map, ....), so doing a grep yields :
mainly sound !!! vidc/lmaudio.c, vidc/vidcaudio.c and
vidc/console/vidcconsole.c (cursor).... hmmm... they could use a MD
allocation routine that gets mapped to the UVM routines when you don't
have a Kinetic or all memory is DMA-able or get the memory from the pool
of DMA DRAM.  Pity I cant test this out... I'll try to work out the
routines etc. but real testing is a bit more difficult. Oh well... we'll
see..

There are also two SCSI podule drivers that seem to use it ... but those
might be less critical, but never the less need patching....

They all seem to be claiming DMA buffers one time ... so even that doesn't
have to be a problem but needs investigating.

When do you think you'll be back agian ? or rather online :) ... well i
completely understand you wont have the time ... take some time off :)

Cheers, Reinoud