Subject: Re: Fun with structure alignment
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/12/2001 23:36:02
> I've just been reminded of the awkward state of structure alignment in
> NetBSD/arm32, and it looks to me like this could actually turn out to be a
> serious problem.
>
> The problem is that some of the structures passed between the kernel and
> user space (e.g. struct wscons_keymap) are affected by changing the
> structure padding rules.  This means that if NetBSD/arm32 is going to move
> to the standard ARM padding rules, there'll need to be a compatibility
> layer to allow old binaries to run.  Anyone feel like implementing it?

I don't think it's as much structure alignment that is changing but structure padding.  This will only affect structures that contain other structures that are in turn not naturally word-sized (structures whose only members are less than one word in size).

Are there many such structures that pass across the interface?

R.

PS.  wscons was never implemented for RPC or SHARK.  Was it ever done for CATS?