Subject: Re: Bootloader TODO list
To: Andy Wingate <xyzzy@ox.compsoc.net>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/07/2001 09:52:55
Hi Andy,

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Andy Wingate wrote:
> Is there a compiled up kernel around that has the changes required to
> allow your bootloader to boot my Risc PC into NetBSD 1.5-ish. I've
> been busy for the last few months and have only caught up on this
> mailing-list so I've probably missed something.

Well i can send you my kernel :)) ... at least a good starting point for
its a fairly standard RiscPC kernel ... or I can compile a RISCPC kernel
for you (yeah that sounds better for i dont know what kind of hardware you
have !

> Not related, but I installed the 1.5alpha2 stuff from one of Chris's
> CDs some time afer the RISC OS 2000 show, but for some reason now the
> kernel on the UFS partition seems to have gone odd.
>
> I get down to the usual 1.5_ALPHA2 (GENERIC) #2 : Wed Oct 18... stuff
> then the total, avail memory and:
> using 307 buffers containing 5016KB of memory
> panic: No map for fault address
>
> Stopped in at _cpu_Debugger+0x10:  ldmdb r11, {r11,r13,r15}
> db>  console_kbd=0
>
> -at which point I can do nothing but press reset. Is anything obvious
> likely to cause this? If I use the same kernel when loaded from a
> filecore partition it works fine.

Ouch ! ... well i dont know really ... but can you copy the kernel to the
FFS partition again and try ? Otherwise i can only think about an error in
the UnixFS_res module... hmm... have you fsck'd your partition?

> >From what I have seen of the new bootloader it seems quite nice in
> explaining what it is doing, even if it does look slightly peculiar
> when run on higher than 1024x768 screen resolutions.

Thanks :) ... but i am a bit alarmed by your comment about when run higher
than 1024x768 ... i usually run it in x1280 y1024 c256. Have you checked
if you compiled in the correct mode definition file ? I.e. the one you use
for RISC OS ?

Just like the old bootloader the new bootloader still can't boot 800x600
modes and anything with less than 256 colours (AFAIK). Its a limitation of
the current vidc console code.

Stupid question really, but Can you enter those modes in RiscOS ? How much
VRAM do you have ? If you dont have 2Mb VRAM the memory is limited to 1 Mb
(either VRAM or DRAM)... due to hardware limitations.

Hope this helps :)
Cheers,
Reinoud