Subject: Re: Bootloader TODO list
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Wingate <xyzzy@ox.compsoc.net>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/06/2001 20:14:12
In message <Pine.NEB.4.21.0102032152470.14242-100000@rangerover.kasbah>
          Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Anthony Hilton wrote:
> > Can the new bootloader boot old versions of RiscBSD? I have 1.3 alpha
> > installed but rarely booted on an ARM6 RiscPC with 1Mb VRAM.

> Well I am sorry to say the new bootloader can't boot old compiled kernels,
> but i cant see why it wouldn't boot a 1.3 alpha kernel with the new
> rpc_machdep.c ;-)

Is there a compiled up kernel around that has the changes required to
allow your bootloader to boot my Risc PC into NetBSD 1.5-ish. I've
been busy for the last few months and have only caught up on this
mailing-list so I've probably missed something.

Not related, but I installed the 1.5alpha2 stuff from one of Chris's
CDs some time afer the RISC OS 2000 show, but for some reason now the
kernel on the UFS partition seems to have gone odd.

I get down to the usual 1.5_ALPHA2 (GENERIC) #2 : Wed Oct 18... stuff
then the total, avail memory and:
using 307 buffers containing 5016KB of memory
panic: No map for fault address

Stopped in at _cpu_Debugger+0x10:  ldmdb r11, {r11,r13,r15}
db>  console_kbd=0

-at which point I can do nothing but press reset. Is anything obvious
likely to cause this? If I use the same kernel when loaded from a
filecore partition it works fine.

From what I have seen of the new bootloader it seems quite nice in
explaining what it is doing, even if it does look slightly peculiar
when run on higher than 1024x768 screen resolutions.

--
Andy Wingate <URL:http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~xyzzy/>
You are in a twisty maze of passageways, all different.