Subject: Re: Netbooting a Risc PC?
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/05/2001 18:45:10
In the past I have successfully netbooted my A7000+, using just a local
kernel.  All you need to do is build a kernel with the relevant options to
get it's IP address and root filesystem over the network, and away you go.
Since this all happens after the kernel has taken control of the machine,
it's not really a bootloader issue.

It's not (AFAIK) possible to start a RISC OS machine from cold straight
into NetBSD, across the network.  You will probably always need a kernel
and a bootloader on the machine (even if it's on a floppy).  However, you
don't need any NetBSD partitions on a local disk.

Cheers,

David.

PS - There should be some docs on www.netbsd.org about setting up a
netbooting kernel...