Subject: Re: Netbooting a Risc PC?
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/05/2001 18:15:55
Hi Kjetil,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
> I have an Acorn Risc PC with no working IDE drive, and the rest of the
> drives are Power-tec ones. They are known not to work well with NetBSD
> *and* RISC OS, so if I am to make that work I have to dedicate them to
> NetBSD.

Oh thats a pity... hmm... well maybe we can change this partition stuff
code so it suits that one too ?

> I have a Sun SPARCstation 2 running NetBSD 1.4 with lots of disk, and I
> would like to use that as a boot server for my Risc PC, including
> mounting the kernel and the root file system.
>
> From what I have seen, that probably is not possible today, but I may
> be wrong here. Am I wrong?

Well AFAIK its perfectly suitable to use DHCP and a root on NFS ... that
should work... If you dont know how to specify the root on NFS you can
check out the GENERIC kernel for the syntax for AFAIK it isn't in the
RISCPC kernel.

> Anyway it would be nice if we could be able to do this at some stage
> in the future, so is this something that is being worked on? What
> about the new bootloader? Will that take this option into account?

Now that is a challenge :)) ... yeah... would love that myself too... but
its perfectly possible to boot the machine from disk with a netbsd kernel
on ADFS and then netboot. You might consider installing pcnfs on the Sparc
too so you can create a boot-script that automatically connects to this
Sparc and shares its kernel. Another option is offcource to FTP your
kernel everytime you startup in a script... but havent tried that yet.

Cheers,
Reinoud