Subject: Re: Packages and things
To: None <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/03/2001 09:44:44
> > A silly question - why do we have to manually edit rc.conf to
> > say rc_configured=YES as until you do that it's a right pain
> > to do anything.
>
> You should find that rc has changed alot though, so it's more a safety thing
> so that people actually notice I suppose.

Would be a lot easier if it was YES as default, as I made no other
changes to it.

> > I've got a kernel rolled with buggy ICSIDE driver removed, and
> > all looks good.
>
> Is it buggy?  I've not got one, my rapide works pretty well though.

Crashes to debugger just after probing Etherh. About 50% of the time.

> Where did you get it from?

The ftp site.
ftp://ftp.uk.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/arm32/installation/kernel/netbsd.RPCINST.tgz

> > And why does it take so long to probe when the kernel boots.
> > I'm sure it didn't way back on 1.3.2?
>
> What device is it getting stuck on?  I know that the internal wdc can take a
> while if nothing is on it, it times out.

I think that's it - (going from memory which is bad) - I think it's
just put up pioc0, and then waits for _ages_. Then it gets a wdc, and
then waits for _ages_ again. _ages_ is of the order of minutes.

I was under the impression (obviously wrongly) that if I altered the
kernel config file to remove all the *'s and ?'s, i.e. put in the
dmesg output, it wouldn't probe for anything so it would boot a
lot quicker.

Which makes me think that (for all operating systems really), there should
be no need to probe the universe every boot time, they should remember
what they found first time around, and instantly boot with that. There
should be a special option to rescan hardware for changes, as after all
you boot more often with exactly the same hardware than with different.

--