Subject: Re: Packages and things
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/02/2001 23:43:51
On Friday 02 February 2001 10:03 pm, Chris Cowdery wrote:
> I've got 1.5 installed on my RiscPC without too much trouble
> (I upgraded manually from 1.4)

Ahh the fun way :)

> A silly question - why do we have to manually edit rc.conf to
> say rc_configured=YES as until you do that it's a right pain
> to do anything.

You should find that rc has changed alot though, so it's more a safety thing
so that people actually notice I suppose.

> I've got a kernel rolled with buggy ICSIDE driver removed, and
> all looks good.

Is it buggy?  I've not got one, my rapide works pretty well though.

> Now, I would like to use KDE, Mozilla etc. Can I use the package
> system and will it work?

Should do, I suggest you download the latest tgz and then use CVS to track it
note it can take a while to actually get CVS run over the dir, most of that
is the slow disk access.  Oh and I'd recommend just grabbing the package for
mozilla otherwise it'll take ages to compile mozilla.

> Oh, and the Inst kernel didn't.

Where did you get it from?

> And why does it take so long to probe when the kernel boots.
> I'm sure it didn't way back on 1.3.2?

What device is it getting stuck on?  I know that the internal wdc can take a
while if nothing is on it, it times out.

Chris