Subject: Re: ELF stuff
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com,>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/02/2001 10:55:22
On Friday 02 February 2001 10:18 am, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 February 2001  6:50 pm, Ben Harris wrote:
> > > Out of curiosity, could someone try building an arm32 kernel with
> > > "options EXEC_ELF32"?  I'm curious to know if all the necessary stuff's
> > > there.
> >
> > Does this mean you've a suspision it is? :)
> >
> > Well I've built a kernel, it's happily booted and running on my RPC.
> > Only problem is how to create a test elf program?   Is there a flag to
> > gcc to get elf instead of a.out?
>
> No, you need an elf toolchain.  You will also need ELF system libraries
> (eg libc) and crt0.o before you can link your application.  You can't
> dynamically link against the a.out shared libs.

Doh this is what happens when it's late and I forget to think :)

Yep, when I said test program, I really meant:

int
main()
{
return 1;
}

which doesn't need system libs, but I'd forgotten that it needs crt0.o.

What work actually needs to be done then on the toolchain front?  At a guess
it's mostly gcc, with some ld and ld.so_elf work.  Does it effect gas in
anyway?

A while back you mentioned updating the ABI to something newer, which can do
thumb, arm26 and arm32 (or is that a bit like the holy grail of arm
processors :), do you have on docs on this or pointers to docs?  Would the
ARM linux abi work?  I believe that's in the 2.95.2 stuff that's in the tree?
Are we better waiting for gcc 3?

Cheers,
Chris