Subject: Re: ELF stuff
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/02/2001 10:55:34
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> On Thursday 01 February 2001  6:50 pm, Ben Harris wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, could someone try building an arm32 kernel with "options
> > EXEC_ELF32"?  I'm curious to know if all the necessary stuff's there.
>
> Does this mean you've a suspision it is? :)

I couldn't remember if the kernel needed anything other than elf_machdep.h
(which you got when I started merging header files).

> Well I've built a kernel, it's happily booted and running on my RPC.  Only
> problem is how to create a test elf program?   Is there a flag to gcc to get
> elf instead of a.out?

No, as Richard said.  What I plan to do now, though, is to build some
stuff using my (arm26) toolchain with -mapcs-32 -march=armv3 and see if
they Just Work on both arm26 and arm32.  I have this suspicion they will,
you see.

[ I know there'll be problems in exception handling due to the way gcc
  extracts stuff from stack frames, and libkvm might not work, but I think
  most stuff should behave properly. ]