Subject: Re: DNARD, NetBSD 1.5, IDE disk: Data Abort when booting
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@baymoo.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/28/2001 10:10:45
On Sunday 28 January 2001  7:55 am, Jeremy Cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Mark Whittington wrote:
> >   Boot device: /isa/ide/disk@0:\netbsd  Arguments:
> >   Data Abort
> >   ok
>
> I talked with Mark and we found the source of the problem: the
> SHARKINST kernel for 1.5 mistakenly installs the GENERIC arm32
> kernel, whereas it should install the SHARK arm32 kernel.  I've added an
> entry to the arm32 FAQ about this.  We should find out how to fix it in
> the next release.

There's been some discussion that we'll be splitting out the arm32 port into
a generic bit, and then the platform parts so that we can have GENERIC
kernels for each bit of hardware (currently that's about 5 different ones..)
Which, although it doesn't help now, should in the long term make this less
of an issue :)

Chris