Subject: Re: Changing kernel base address (was: Re: Heads up: shared arm include files)
To: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/19/2001 01:28:37

> >Right I have now done some tinkering and it turns out that moving VIDC/IOMD
> >and the podules is not that straightforward as tweaking a few #defines and
> >recompiling. The code in initarm assumes that these have been mapped by the
> >bootloader at f6000000. I have a partial work round for this but the kernels
> >crash after switching to the final page tables. On a more positive note it is
> >possible to move the VRAM (or video DRAM) without too much effort.
[IOMD code snipped]
> Why not delete it and add any extra checks needed to iomdattach().
>
> The only other code that may cause problems is the call to consinit().

It's not actually a problem while running initarm (you just have to do the
mapping yourself in initarm) Unofortunately relocating IOMD and VIDC seems to
cause a kernel trap some time after switching to the full kernel page tables.
However it does make sense to do this check elsewhere.

Mike

Mike