Subject: Changing kernel base address (was: Re: Heads up: shared arm include
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/13/2001 16:59:08
On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Mike Pumford wrote:

> I noticed that. I had a quick look at the bootloader and that would need
> some hacking if the kernel was rebased as it assumes that the kernel starts
> at 0xf0000000. I cannot speak for the new bootloader written by Reinoud
> Zandijk but it may need similar tweakings.

Since a.out files don't contain the address to load things at, the
bootloader has to have wired-in knowledge of where the kernel goes.  ELF,
of course, doesn't suffer from this.

It's also worth noting that libkvm currently has the value of
VM_MAXUSER_ADDRESS compiled into it, so changing it may cause
compatibility issues there.