Subject: Re: Heads up: shared arm include files
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/13/2001 02:00:36
> On Friday 12 January 2001 11:44 pm, Mike Pumford wrote:
> > > On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> Yep, the kernel goes in at 0xf0000000.  We then have vm space from 0xf1000000
> to 0xf5000000.  I think that then it's the VIDC memory and the IOMD/VIDC
> chips.  Note I'm looking over the code, we've got some defines that aren't
> relative to the base addr's in the headers (not a hard thing to change, but I
> want to check them with docs, but arm.com doesn't want to give me any docs
> (or it didn't with lynx of chimera, I've still not got a decent www browser
> in i386 until I get mozilla compiled up.
>
> Note that shark and cats have higher amounts of VM, as they've less things in
> the map above them.

I noticed that. I had a quick look at the bootloader and that would need
some hacking if the kernel was rebased as it assumes that the kernel starts
at 0xf0000000. I cannot speak for the new bootloader written by Reinoud
Zandijk but it may need similar tweakings.

> I'd certainly say we should be able to shift things down in the memory map.
> I'd quite like to be able to document the memory map for the kernel (or is it
> doc'd somewhere already?)

I think the closest thing to documentation for the map would be initarm int
riscpc/rpc_machdep.c. Not the most lucid piece of documentation and something
a bit better would be preferable before embarking on this remapping. It may
also help out the bootloader people if the kernel VM mapping was made clearer.

We also need to consider the implications of rebasing the kernel on SHARK and
CATS kernels as there may be issues with changing the kernel base address for
these machines.

Mike