Subject: Re: Food for thought.
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/11/2001 00:34:03
On Wednesday 10 January 2001 11:44 am, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> bjh21@netbsd.org said:
> /*
>  * uvm_pglistalloc: allocate a list of pages
>  *
>
> > I think that should do what you want (set size=16k, alignment=16k).
>
> Good, that removes one of the problems; with this (and probably using the
> pool code to cache regions previously allocated), and with pmap page
> stealing it ought to be possible to make the system pretty robust in this
> area.

Interestingly enough it's already used setting up the static pages.  In fact
reading the code (although I've probably missed something :) it might try to
do that already.  However I suspect that pmap_enter needs work to allocate
new L1 tables?

I note that the alpha does have a pool mechanism, however it appears that L1
tables on alpha may be the same size as a page which makes it easier.

Also while talking about the pmap, does anyone know what the schedular lock
protocol is, it's mentioned in PR port-arm32/10863.  Looking at the alpha
pmap it looks to be most likely to relate to smp systems.  Or is it likely to
be relevant to single processors?

Chris