Subject: Re: Food for thought.
To: Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/09/2001 22:01:38
On Tuesday 09 January 2001  8:44 pm, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >Not sure if we can do that (Linux compatability is a strange beast, that
> > and I don't even know if you can install both linux and netbsd at the
> > same time :)
>
> I have both Linux and NetBSD on my CATS.

I was thinking more of risc os based boxen, but maybe it'll work then :)

> >I'd prefer to see work to getting XFree86 v4 working on arm32 :)  However
> >that needs work on sorting out a way to get the binary loader working for
> > arm platforms.
>
> I've never really understood why X insists on having its own binary loader.
> However, support for ARM ELF should be there very shortly; if NetBSD were
> to switch to ELF it should almost "just work".  I don't know what would be
> involved in making it run with a.out.

I suspect that it was done to save having to pander to the different formats
for any one platform (particularly i386) although I thought that dlopen would
handle that kinda thing.

The support ARM ELF may help, but doesn't it depends on the ABI used, and
what ABI netbsd uses to get the multiplatform idea working.

Cheers,
Chris