Subject: Re: Split or don't split arm32?
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/21/2000 10:13:20
On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 10:18:56AM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> It sounds like what we need is:
>
> 	sys/arch/arm
> 	sys/arch/arm/arm	<- shared by all arm cpus
> 	sys/arch/arm/arm32	<- arm32 cpus
> 	sys/arch/arm/arm26	<- arm26 cpus
>
> ...and then:
>
> 	sys/arch/hpcarm32	<- hpcarm32 port
> 	sys/arch/dnard		<- dnard port

How about making this the prototype case for a source reorganisation
that we've mumbled about for years - /sys/cpu.

Then we could have:

	sys/cpu/arm-shared	<- shared by all arm cpus
	sys/cpu/arm32		<- arm32 cpus
	sys/cpu/arm26		<- arm26 cpus

...and then:

	sys/arch/hpcarm32	<- hpcarm32 port
	sys/arch/shark		<- shark port	(dnard is a horrid name ;-)

I think this could be the perfect opportunity to experiment with this layout.

For those who haven't heard of this source reorganisation before, the
intention is (if I recall correctly):

	* Put CPU specific code into /sys/cpu.
	  Migrate the existing /sys/arch/{m68k,mips,powerpc} code to /sys/cpu.
	  As above, also convert the arm ports to a /sys/cpu/arm* model.

	* Keep /sys/arch for individual ports.

Luke.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com